Namen / Eigenaren
In 1731, 21 years after the start of porcelain production in Meissen factory, the first failed attempts to produce porcelain in Copenhagen took Elias Vater, manufacturer of mirrors and steelworker from Dresden. Also attempts conducted in 1754 by the Meissen blue painter Johann Gottlieb Mehlhorn and Johann Ludwig LÃ¼ck not brought positive results.
Only Frantz Heinrich MÃ¼ller - chemist specializing in mineralogy, as a result of many experiments in 1773 mastered the production of genuine porcelain. May 1, 1775 with the support of Queen Juliane Marie, received a 50-year-old monopoly on the production of porcelain and founded a company to which he invited many investors, but the interest was minimal. The MÃ¼ller's company functioned until 1779 as a public limited company, and the MÃ¼ller struggled with many difficulties.
The situation changed completely when in 1779 King Christian VII took over the factory her protection and financial responsibility. The royal family became a partner in the company, and the factory was named "Den Kongelige PorcelÃ¦nsfabrik".
The heyday of manufacture occurred after 1780, but the artistic production remained constantly under the influence of the leading manufactures in Europe. The exception was introduced in 1790 dinner service "Flora Danica", whose decorations were inspired by the famous Danish botanical atlas. Painted decoration of this service was entrusted to the German artist Johann Christoph Bayer, who moved more than 700 images from the plant atlas on 1802 vessels.
F.H. MÃ¼ller was moved by the King to retire in 1801, after the naval battle of Copenhagen. His successor was appointed I.G.L. Manthey, the times of which, the production was limited to the standard utilitarian products. In 1824 the director was Hetsch. Under his leadership, was produced richly gilded vases and chandeliers, as well biscuit statues and bas-reliefs.
In 1868 the manufactory passed into private hands, and the new owner was A. Falck, who retained the right to use the name and signature. In 1882 the factory was sold to the factory faience "Aluminia" and two years later, the factory moved from the center of Copenhagen to the new buildings in Frederiksberg. Director of both companies was Phillip Schou and artistic director Arnold Krog, who came mainly underglaze decoration, moving away from tradition. Krog has breathed new life into the products of the factory. Created by him dinner service "Blue Fluted" with underglaze decoration has achieved great success at the World Exhibition in Paris in 1889 and has provided factory worldwide fame.
In 1902, management of the factory took over Fr. Dalgas, son-in-law of Philip Schou. Since 1923 started the production of so-called. "iron porcelain". It was a soft porcelain, like the English "bone china" with a lead glaze. It is porcelain with such a hard shell that is commonly called the "iron porcelain".
In 1987 the factory merged with the main competitor: the company Bing & GrÃ¸ndahl A.S., founded in 1853 by Frederik Vilhelm Grondahl and brothers Ludwig Meyer Bing and Jacob Harald Bing, creating a "Royal Copenhagen A/S".