Names / Owners
A faience factory, founded in 1813, whose first owner was Johann Carl Graf von Praschma until 1819, when leased it Johannes Degotschon. After his death, since 1840, the factory was managed by his widowed wife, but two years later he was bought by Count Ernst von Frankenberg-Ludwigsdorf, who bought TuÅowice (Tillowitz) in 1835. Count von Frankenberg employed a new manager - inspector Seliger, who quickly introduced many changes and modernized the faience production technology. The manufactured products have gained the name of "black porcelain", from the color of the glaze obtained from the trail originating from the TÅebÃÄe metallurgical furnace. Unfortunately, the glaze and silver decoration technique developed by Seliger remained a mystery, and after his death the faience was ceased and the porcelain plant was adapted.
After the death of Count Ernst von Frankenberg in 1855, TuÅowice goods together with a porcelain factory, already called GrÃ¤flich - Frankenberg'sche Porzellanmanufaktur Tillowitz, passed into the hands of the Count Fred von Frankenberg-Ludwigsdorf. After a few years, the plant received a new porcelain furnace, a clinker mill and necessary equipment for the production of porcelain. Despite these modernizations, the factory still required the count's financial outlay.
Finally, in 1858, the lessee of the factory in TuÅowice became H. Teichelmann, who expanded the plant, founded his own store in Brzeg (Brieg), and then gave up the lease and left TuÅowice in 1864.
The next leaseholders were Carl Heckmann and Wenk (1864-1872), and later the company Carl Heckmann and August Rapsilber who at the same time ran a porcelain factory in Jaworzyna ÅlÄ ska (KÃ¶nigszelt). Successive tenants more and more neglected the factory until it fell into disrepair. In 1878, Count Fred v. Frankenberg took over the management of the factory for a short period, but in 1879 he leased it again for 15 years to H.W. Leopold.
At that time, a new steam mill for grinding the glaze, a circular squeezer, a clay mixing plant and a grinder were erected. All devices were powered by a water power plant, also supplying water to the castle fountains. Cups, teapots, sugar bowls, plates, butter dishes, containers, snuff boxes were produced, as well as colorful dishes of inferior species. The products were exported to South America and the Orient countries. For unknown reasons, in 1886 Leopold broke the lease contract and Count Fred was once again forced to look for a tenant who would lead his factory.
In 1889, Erhard Schlegelmilch, son of Reinhold Schlegelmilch, owner of the porcelain factory in Suhl, came to TuÅowice. E. Schlegelmilch leased the Frankenberg factory until 1899, but it did not meet his expectations, and its location in the old buildings next to the castle, did not give prospects for the expansion and development of production. Therefore, from the very beginning, the Schlegelmilchs thought about building their own porcelain factory in TuÅowice, and the old Frankenberg plant was bought and demolished by them in 1905.
- Upper Silesia
- TuÅowice (Tillowitz)