Names / Owners
1760 â After perfecting his arcanum, on the 8th September Georg Heinrich Macheleid requests a licence from Prince Johann Friedrich of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt to start a porcelain factory in Sitzendorf. The licence is granted on 4th October.
1762 â By royal decree on the 15th April, the factory is founded in Volkstedt, almost in the shadow of the palace. Beside others, The Prince, Macheleid and the mayor, August Friedrich North, are appointed to the board of directors.
1764 â In annoyance, Macheleid withdraws as factor from the company and the prince bestows a lifelong pension to him.
1767 â On the 30th March the factory is leased to a merchant from Erfurt, Christian Nonne.
1782 â The lease with Nonne is renewed.
1797 â For the price of 21,500 Reichsthaler, the factory is sold to Prince Ernst Constantin of Hessen-Philippsthal. He was a brother-in-law to the reigning Prince Ludwig Friedrich II of Schwarzburg- Rudolstadt.
1799 â Disappointed by the revenue realised, Prince Ernst sells the firm to Greiner & Holzapfel (Wilhelm Immanuel Greiner and Carl Gottfried Holzapfel).
1822 â The firm Greiner, Stauch & Co. succeeds Greiner & Holzapfel. This new company terminates in 1860.
1861 â Karl Ens Senior (a porcelain painter from Lauscha) and Clemens Triebner (from Weimar purchase the company. The name is changed to: Triebner, Ens & Co.
1865 â Karl Ens Senior dies. Robert Macheleid from Scheibe-Alsbach fills the vacancy. The companyâs new name is: Macheleid, Triebner & Co.
1875 â Robert Macheleid withdraws. Karl Ens Junior and the bookkeeper, Richard Eckert, join Clemens Triebner as partners. The firmâs name is now: Triebner, Ens & Eckert.
1894/1895 â Eckert established the luxury porcelain factory Richard Eckert & Co. AG situated in Rudolstadt-Volkstedt. In 1930 this company is affiliated to Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanfabrik.
1899 â Due to numerous, new porcelain factories springing up in Rudolstadt between 1890 and 1908, it was deemed necessary to designate Triebner, Ens & Eckert as the Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanfabrik.
1901 â Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanfabrik and the Porzellanfabrik Unterweissbach (formerly known as Mann & Porzelius AG) amalgamated under the name: Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanfabrik und Porzellanfabrik Unterweissbach, vorm. Mann und Porzelius AG. Under the auspices of this enterprise the Schwarzburger WerkstÃ¤tten fÃ¼r Porzellankunst was established in 1909.
1936 â Due to the economic climate the company, formed in 1909, is forced to file for bankruptcy. Unterweissbach and Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanfabrik are separated.
1937 â After the bankruptcy proceedings were concluded Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanfabrik remains in existence but under the name: Staatliche Thuringische Porzellanmanufaktur, vorm. Aelteste Volkstedter GmbH.
1949 â This firm becomes state owned.
1956 â The firm is renamed: Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanmanufaktur and is affiliated to VEB Vereinigte Porzellanwerke Rudolstadt-Volkstedt. This is the biggest prducer of ornamental porcelain in Europe.
1962 â A name change: VEB Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanmanufaktur Rudolstadt-Volkstedt.
1972 â Yet another name change: VEB Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanmanufaktur im VEB Vereinigte Zierporzellanwerke Lichte.
1990 â After the reunification of Germany the company was taken over by Porzellanfabrik Tettau. Tettau is a 100% subsidiary of the Seltmann Weiden group.